Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ode to McGrath and Warnie's last bow

Tonight Glen McGrath retires from his role of chief torturer of opposition cricket batsmen. Since I'm too far from Barbados to soak in the moment I thought I'd reminisce about last December when I was lucky to watch Warnies final bow at the MCG Boxing Day Test.

The day couldn't have been scripted better. First the rains threatened to spoil the day, and then Ponting refused to give Warne the ball. And when he was tossed the ball, he takes a 5 wicket haul! How incredible is that. I managed to get a free upgrade to a Corporate Box - with beers, wines, lunch and high tea flowing continously. Almost felt like being back at Ten Sports sitting in the good seats. Can't sit with janta anymore you see. At lunch time, Merv Hughes came to the Corporate Yarra Room to do a Q&A session about Warne and McGrath. Poor Poms in the stands were racially abused continually and finally gave up and left after the England innings ended. We left too and missed the two Aus wickets which turned out to be a farce considering what Symmonds did the next day. Latest news is that one of the Eng cricket players has ordered Chicken curry from a Indian restaurant in London to be couriered to Sydney to pep up the players. Every newspaper and advertisment in taking the Pommies case.

No comments: